Giving Compass’ Take:
• Donna Callejon shares GlobalGiving’s short- and long-term strategies for effectively supporting Australia wildfire relief, recovery, and resilience.
• Are you ready to commit to long-term recovery efforts in Australia? What does resilience look like in Australian communities?
• Learn more about effective disaster relief practices.
A startling 70-80% of disaster response funding is aimed at short-term relief, and most of it is given within the first two months of a disaster. While funding dries up or stops altogether, needs persist for years following a disaster as communities strive to rebuild.
Here is how we plan to responsibly distribute the funds we have raised for wildfire relief and recovery in Australia. Of course, it is subject to change as the recovery unfolds, and we learn more from the impacted communities:
- Within one week of launching the GlobalGiving Australia Wildfires Relief Fund, we made initial donations to six local Australian organizations.
- In the coming months we will continue to monitor the evolution of needs faced by communities impacted by the fires—both human and wildlife—and maintain close contact with our existing nonprofit partners in Australia, learning from them about how the recovery process is proceeding and creating a space for them to articulate their most pressing needs across different affected areas.
- In the second half of 2020, a GlobalGiving team member will travel to Australia to meet with grantees and get a first-hand understanding of the ongoing challenges and opportunities for support.
Research shows that every dollar invested in disaster preparedness saves ~$6 in relief needs in future crises. Recognizing that GlobalGiving must take a responsible approach as our funds are spent down, the final phase of our contributions in 2021-2022 will largely be focused on programs intended to invest in social, economic, and environmental resilience in the areas impacted by the wildfires.
Read the full article about effective giving strategies for Australia wildfires by Donna Callejon at GlobalGiving.
Since you are interested in Impact Philanthropy, have you read these selections from Giving Compass related to impact giving and Impact Philanthropy?
Looking for a way to get involved?
Disaster Relief is a fascinating topic, and others found these events, galas, conferences and volunteering opportunities aggregated by Giving Compass to be relevant for individuals with a passion for Disaster Relief.
Are you ready to give?
Disaster Relief is an important topic. Other members found these Giving Funds, Charitable Organizations and Projects aggregated by Giving Compass to be relevant to individuals with a passion for Disaster Relief.