Giving Compass’ Take:
• Here are five significant challenges for school districts, ranging from school security and safety to curriculum and assessment.
• How can donors be part of school district solutions?
• Learn about the issue of school district secession.
Here’s a look at five major challenges districts are facing and steps they’re taking to address them.
- Balancing school security with positive learning: Challenge: Perhaps as a result of the ongoing emphasis on safety, schools are hardening buildings to keep students safe.
- Solutions: In the rush to increase tangible security measures like installing metal detectors and surveillance cameras, experts say administrators should be mindful of putting in place equally, if not more, effective social-emotional prevention strategies.
- Teacher strikes: Challenge: With teachers in a number of districts strike-ready and greater union advocacy pushing administrators to address needs “beyond traditional contract issues,” resuming business as usual after a strike can be challenging.
- Solutions: Districts are looking for ways to continue despite teacher absences during a strike.
- Teacher shortages: Challenge: High turnover rates and shortages continue to pose challenges for many districts.
- Solutions: With the trend continuing into this school year, schools are looking for ways to attract and retain quality teachers.
- Leadership pipeline and succession planning: Challenge: According to research, 35% of principals stay in their positions for less than two years.
- Solutions: Encouraging professional learning networks, ensuring sufficient salaries, and providing both preparation programs and in-service trainings can go a long way in making principals more likely to stay in their jobs.
- Curriculum and assessment: Challenge: Many districts are feeling the pressure to meet accountability metrics while also trying to get creative with approaches to curriculum and assessment.
- Solutions: Many schools are shifting to alternative methods like project-based assessments that are scored based on creativity and “through-year” testing, a model reflecting growth and proficiency levels instead of being summative.
Read the full article about major challenges for school districts by Naaz Modan at Education Dive.
K-12 Education is a complex topic, and others found these selections from the Impact Giving archive from Giving Compass to be good resources.
Are you ready to give?
Children and Youth is an important topic. Other members found these Giving Funds, Charitable Organizations and Projects aggregated by Giving Compass to be relevant to individuals with a passion for Children and Youth.