Giving Compass’ Take:
• The Renew grantees were recently announced and range from women-focused initiatives to access to housing to strengthening democratic processes. Across the board, these global initiatives are working towards building a better future for the world.
• One of the criteria for choosing the grant recipients is called, “systemic change vs charity/service providing”. It’s important for grantmakers to put systemic change at the forefront of grantmaking in order to distinguish sustainable solutions rather than temporary charitable actions.
• For a look into the grantmaking process, check out PEAK Grantmaking’s list on ten ways to be a better grantmaker.
The results of the Renew grant are in. After receiving 41 proposals out of the 160 members of FundAction, the community reviewed by commenting and voting all the applications.
From then on, a P2P Review Panel composed of random members from the community had the responsibility to decide which applications received funding based on a list of components and criteria.
Below are the six applications that will be funded and an overview of what the grant money will go toward:
- London Renters Union: London Renters Union is a new social movement tenants union that has grown directly out of the housing movement in London. The Renew grant will be used to consolidate their work by producing activities such as developing the member’s support processes or launch a London-wide campaign.
- FemFund: The only women’s grantmaking fund in Poland and provides flexible small grants for women-led activism and organizing via a participatory grantmaking model.
- Mwasi Collectif : Mwasi Collectif is planning an afrofeminist summer school in France for 55 black womxn. They want to extend the work they have been doing, to share knowledge and practices.
- Magacin: “Independent Cultural Scene in Serbia” is the key representative of the interests of the civil society in the area of culture and art in Serbia formed in Belgrade in 2011.
- Fearless Cities Campaign: Fearless Cities movement is a vast informal network of municipalist organizations aimed at promoting the radicalization of democracy by following a municipal political strategy and putting local politics at the center of the political debate.
- School of Public Life: The School of Public Life works in Hungary to ensure that marginalized groups are aware of their rights, can articulate their needs and interests, and possess the skills and knowledge necessary to enforce these in practice.
Read the full article about Renew grantees from FundAction at Medium
Funding is a complex topic, and others found these selections from the Impact Giving archive from Giving Compass to be good resources.
Looking for a way to get involved?
A good way to complement your interest in Funding is to connect with others. Check out these events, galas, conferences or volunteering opportunities related to Funding.
Are you ready to give?
If you are ready to take action and invest in causes for Funding, check out these Giving Funds, Charitable Organizations and Projects related to Funding.