Giving Compass’ Take:
• Arielle Levy, writing for eJewish Philanthropy, shares tips on how to create engaging and inclusive workshops that fully reach participants.
• How would donors benefit from more inclusive workshops? How would these tips translate over to giving circles?
• Learn how to establish a donor circle.
When you find yourself organizing workshops or any kind of learning sessions for adults, the last thing you want to do is unintentionally make a participant feel unwelcome or invisible, or make it hard for participants to absorb the content you’re trying to teach.
There is so much literature in the field today about how to create experiences that feel inclusive for participants, and it can be hard to know where to start.
The Hillel U team, from Hillel International, creates over 70 in-person and 90 online workshops each year for a diverse population of 1,200 Hillel professionals around the globe. We’ve learned a lot along the way about how adults learn, and how to engage as many adults as possible in deep learning.
We’ve compiled our top 10 tips to help you plan workshops that are inclusive and engaging.
- Make it interactive.
- Use the session’s written description to inform your session design.
- Use visual aids strategically.
- Provide take–away materials participants can utilize back at work.
- Use a “parking lot” to ensure that your session stays focused and on topic.
- Use relatable examples.
- Know yourself.
- Consider different learning styles.
- Read the room.
- Be open to feedback.
Read the full article about designing engaging and inclusive workshops by Arielle Levy at eJewish Philanthropy.
Interested in learning more about Youth Development? Other readers at Giving Compass found the following articles helpful for impact giving related to Youth Development.
Looking for a way to get involved?
A good way to complement your interest in Learning Networks and Organizations is to connect with others. Check out these events, galas, conferences or volunteering opportunities related to Learning Networks and Organizations.
Are you ready to give?
If you are ready to take action and invest in causes for Learning Networks and Organizations, check out these Giving Funds, Charitable Organizations and Projects related to Learning Networks and Organizations.