Giving Compass’ Take:
• Governments need to modernize strategies to attract and retain employees in its workforce using new employee engagement tactics, streamline processes, and implement compelling methods of recruitment.
• Can governments learn from tech and startup employee engagement rules and strategies?
• Read about why organizational health is the key to success.
Governments are facing increased pressure to modernize what they offer their prospective and current employees. Younger generations are demanding better technology, better work/life balance, and more opportunities for growth, but the public sector has been slow to react.
Improvements made to modernize government and the way they view their workforce can come in a variety of scenarios. For example:
- Employee Engagement: Getting creative in other ways, such as implementing mobile policies, can be an added driver. According to Mike Brinker, global Deloitte Digital leader, Deloitte Consulting LLP in a recent article called The Untethered Workforce, “For most people, technology in their personal lives is actually better than the technology they use at work.”
- Streamline Processes with Technology: Too many workforce management processes are still being done manually. The days of outmoded pencil & paper aren’t over yet for many organizations.
- Recruitment & Retention Strategies: A recruitment and retention strategy forces government organizations to think outside the box to keep staffing levels where they need them. Gone are the days of attractive pensions. Governments are adopting modern policies like telecommuting, additional paid leave (some are adding parental leave), and flexible work schedules/hours to name a few.
Read the full article about strategies to attract and retain employees by Jennifer Dowd at Governing magazine
If you are looking for more articles and resources for Employment, take a look at these Giving Compass selections related to impact giving and Employment.
Looking for a way to get involved?
Learning with others and benchmarking are key steps towards becoming an impact giver. If you are interested in giving with impact for Employment, take a look at these events, galas, conferences and volunteering opportunities to connect with individuals like you.
Are you ready to give?
In addition to learning and connecting with others, taking action is a key step towards becoming an impact giver. If you are interested in giving with impact for Employment take a look at these Giving Funds, Charitable Organizations or Projects.