Giving Compass’ Take:
• The author lists four organizations that are funding public interest tech in order to make advancements in media and technology and drive the industry forward.
• How can these organizations focus on sustainability and tech as well as data privacy?
• Read about how America needs a workforce with technology skills.
Technology has transformed our daily lives. A force for boundless innovation and enormous good – it can also deepen and exacerbate inequalities. That’s why the Ford Foundation has been working with a community of partners to develop the field of #PublicInterestTech – people and organizations harnessing technology to serve justice and the public interest.
Here are some of the opportunities available right now. Spread the word!
- Mozilla – Art and Advocacy (AI): Mozilla has been a major partner growing the field of #PublicInterestTech – providing grants and funding support to people and organizations on the front lines of making the internet open and accessible to everyone.
- Open Technology Fund: The Open Technology Fund supports projects that promote a free and open internet and empowers people to access modern communications channels free from oppressive censorship or surveillance.
- Media Democracy Fund: The Media Democracy Fund works with foundations, government, the private sector, and individuals to award grants to media and technology organizations that work to advance the public interest in the digital age around the world.
- Ford and Sloan Foundations’ Digital Infrastructure Research RFP: In 2018, the Ford Foundation and Sloan Foundation have partnered up to fund a new wave of research “exploring the economics, sustainability, and maintenance of the world’s digital infrastructure.”
Read the full article about public interest tech by Nicole Eley-Carr at Ford Foundation.
North America is a complex topic, and others found these selections from the Impact Giving archive from Giving Compass to be good resources.
Looking for a way to get involved?
North America is a fascinating topic, and others found these events, galas, conferences and volunteering opportunities aggregated by Giving Compass to be relevant for individuals with a passion for North America.
Are you ready to give?
North America is an important topic. Other members found these Giving Funds, Charitable Organizations and Projects aggregated by Giving Compass to be relevant to individuals with a passion for North America.