Giving Compass’ Take:
• Loni Bordoloi Pazich, writing for The Hechinger Report, lists the lessons learned from a Teagle Grant that supported course-sharing and online module development at liberal arts colleges.
• Liberal arts colleges need to find a way to reduce the cost of attendance while maintaining high academic achievement. Through the Teagle grant, institutions found that technology can be part of the solution through online learning. How will technology profoundly change liberal arts education?
• Read about how small colleges are rethinking their approach to liberal arts programs in order to survive.
Liberal-arts colleges remain under pressure to reduce the cost of attendance while maintaining a commitment to academic excellence. Recent research points to technology as part of the solution.
Gains in student learning, in well-designed online or hybrid courses, are comparable to or may exceed those from in-person instruction — while simultaneously offering cost advantages.
The Teagle grant supported course-sharing and online module development at more than 35 institutions and organizations, and engaged more than 180 faculty and staff between 2014 and 2017. Here is what we learned:
- Student learning in hybrid and traditional classrooms is comparable.
- Technology may bend the cost curve over the long run, but program areas need to be strategically selected.
- Support is necessary for hybrid learning approaches to be successful.
- Even if you build it, students may not come.
- Technology can lead to an unexpected renewal in teaching — both online and in traditional classrooms.
Read the full article about technology advances at liberal arts colleges by Loni Bordoloi Pazich at The Hechinger Report.
Tech for Good is a complex topic, and others found these selections from the Impact Giving archive from Giving Compass to be good resources.
Looking for a way to get involved?
If you are interested in Higher Education, please see these relevant events, training, conferences or volunteering opportunities the Giving Compass team recommends.
Are you ready to give?
If you are ready to take action and invest in causes for Higher Education, check out these Giving Funds, Charitable Organizations and Projects related to Higher Education.