Giving Compass’ Take:
• Blaynk is a bedding company that is creating sheets with only cotton and rainwater to combat the problematic nature of the cotton industry and its products.
• How are you currently supporting organic products and industries?
• Read about why we need organic food for all.
It has such a reassuring, healthy ring to it: organic cotton. Falling asleep at night, you imagine that amid organic sheets, you’ll experience a more restful, chemical-free slumber. And while it’s true that the cotton spun into the sheets may have been grown without pesticides, the “organic” label doesn’t cover that which comes after–all the processing, dying, and finishing that injects a fair amount of chemicals into the supposedly pure product.
Blaynk, a new bedding company, says its pushing beyond the “organic” label and creating sheets made from just two ingredients: cotton and rainwater.
Just 0.7% of cotton grown globally is done so without chemicals. The remaining 99.3% is the most pesticide-intensive crop worldwide, accounting for anywhere between 16% and 25% of total global pesticide use.
Studies have linked exposure to formaldehyde and synthetic dyes to high incidences of lung cancer, leukemia, and miscarriages among garment workers
For conventional and organic cotton alike, the post-harvest process is where the industry’s chemical footprint deepens: Spinning oils are generally employed to reduce friction as the cotton is converted into yarn, and strengthening chemicals like formaldehyde and flame retardants are added to the material as it’s woven to prevent breakage.
Around 20% of the world’s industrial water pollution comes from textile production and dyeing; around 200,000 tons of synthetic dyes from the industry stream into the global water supply each year.
Read the full article about the cotton industry by Eillie Anzilotti at Fast Company.
Since you are interested in Clean Energy, have you read these selections from Giving Compass related to impact giving and Clean Energy?
Looking for a way to get involved?
Clean Energy is a fascinating topic, and others found these events, galas, conferences and volunteering opportunities aggregated by Giving Compass to be relevant for individuals with a passion for Clean Energy.
Are you ready to give?
Clean Energy is an important topic. Other members found these Giving Funds, Charitable Organizations and Projects aggregated by Giving Compass to be relevant to individuals with a passion for Clean Energy.