Affordable housing is critical for providing vulnerable communities with stability, access to services, and opportunities for asset building. But the approach to creating affordable housing matters—recent affordable housing efforts have resulted in adverse externalities such as increasing gentrification and continued displacement that harm the very communities that these initiatives aim to help. In response, impact investors are examining ways to mitigate these unintended consequences by focusing on community centered affordable housing developments.
Join Mission Investors Exchange on Thursday, September 29, from 1:30 p.m. to 3:00 p.m. EDT for a Virtual Learning Opportunity (VLO) that will explore today’s challenges and opportunities in the affordable housing field. Funders will share their investment philosophies and strategies, how they measure impact, and what it takes to invest in affordable housing with community residents at the forefront. They will also discuss the ways in which they are working with various stakeholders to foster well-being and community connection through housing services. Our VLO will conclude with a discussion on how foundations can act as better investors and supporters around affordable housing, before we open up to questions from participants.
- Ashlee Cunningham, Assistant Director of Programs, Center for Community Investment
- Kim Dempsey, Executive Vice President of Capital Markets, Housing Partnership Network
- Reuben Teague, Executive Director, Impact & Responsible Investing, Prudential Financial, Inc.
- Pamela West, Senior Portfolio Manager, Impact Investing, Nuveen Real Estate
- James Wahls, Senior Vice President of Programs and Initiatives, Mission Investors Exchange (moderator)
Thursday, September 29
1:30 PM EDT