Giving Compass' Take:

• Katherine Walla, writing for Food Tank, highlights the food organizations that support underserved or disadvantaged farmers as well as farmers who identify as LGBTQ.

• What more can donors do to prioritize these types of organizations? 

• Read about the population demographics of young farmers. 


According to the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s (USDA) most recent census data, white farmers operate 96.5 percent of the nation’s farms, on plots of land that average 424 acres each; on the remaining 3.5 percent of land, Hispanic or Latino and Black farmers maintain plots of land that are, on average, 374 acres and 125 acres respectively. But underserved farmers face more hurdles than unequal access to land and land rights—they often also lack financial resources, trainings, markets, and other resources, helping to perpetuate inequity in agriculture.

To celebrate World Social Justice Day, Food Tank is highlighting organizations changing the face of America’s farmers by bringing resources, tools, and public support to underserved farmers of color, disabled farmers, migrant farmers, and LGBTQ farmers.

  •  AgrAbility The National AgrAbility Project administered by the USDA aims to enhance the quality of life for farmers, ranchers, and other agricultural workers with disabilities.
  •  Black Urban Growers (BUGS) BUGS maintains a network and community support in order to foster Black leadership in food and farm advocacy.
  •  Coalition of Immokalee Workers (CIW) CIW is a worker rights organization that campaigns for fair food and the rights of agriculture workers.
  • Cultivating Change Foundation The Foundation seeks to help LGBTQ farmers feel empowered and valued through advocacy, education, and community support.

Read the full article about diverse food organizations by Katherine Walla at Food Tank