Giving Compass’ Take:
• Paul Nocchi, writing for Getting Smart, discusses the five ways that 5G internet will transform classrooms and empower educators.
• Is 5G a realistic goal for all schools? While high-speed data has clear benefits for educators and classes, what are the limitations?
• Read more about how 5G internet can expand the agility of classroom tech.
Educators are always looking for ways to maximize learning time. Technology enables teachers to make better connections and explore complicated subjects. But buffering videos and choppy applications can diminish what precious time is available, limiting the time educators have to actually teach.
The next generation of students deserves the next generation of classrooms. And they’re expecting it. According to a 2018 Pearson study, 59% of Gen Z agrees that technology will transform how college students learn in the future, compared to 66%of millennials. Educators need a wireless network that can meet students where they are and provide a seamless learning experience. This is where 5G comes in.
5G is predicted to be ubiquitous by 2020. With data speeds nearly 1,000% faster than 4G, 5G will empower educators to reimagine what’s possible inside and outside the classroom.
When it comes to the 5G, there are already plenty of applications in manufacturing, media, city management, and healthcare. Education is just scratching the surface of what’s possible in the classroom. Here is what teachers and educators can expect:
- Immersive Lessons with AR and VR
- Smart Classroom IoT Saves Teachers Time
- Download Videos in Seconds
- Greater Assistance for Students with Special Needs
- More Flexible Learning
Communications giants, like Verizon, are already bringing some of these use cases to life. Their 5G EdTech Challenge recently awarded $1 million to organizations and universities using AR, VR, among other technologies, to improve middle school education starting as early as fall of 2019.
Read the full article about ways 5G will help classrooms by Paul Nocchi at Getting Smart.
Interested in learning more about Tech for Good? Other readers at Giving Compass found the following articles helpful for impact giving related to Tech for Good.
Are you ready to give?
If you are ready to take action and invest in causes for Tech for Good, check out these Giving Funds, Charitable Organizations and Projects related to Tech for Good.