What is Giving Compass?
We connect donors to learning resources and ways to support community-led solutions. Learn more about us.
Giving Compass' Take:
· Writing for Vancouver Magazine, Daniela Becerril provides a list of eight different gift ideas that also allow you to give back during this holiday season.
· Why is it important to give back during the holidays? What are some other ways to give back?
· Here are a few tips for giving back during the holiday season.
During the holidays, we love to be pampered with presents—and find joy in giving special, over-the-top gifts to our nearest and dearest. But let’s not forget about those in need this time of year, too. Here’s a list of meaningful presents that will not only make your loved ones happy, they’ll also have a positive impact on someone’s life, our environment or elsewhere.
- To aid in clean-water and education initiatives
Obakki is a Vancouver-based company that is adored by celebrities like Gwyneth Paltrow and Kate Hudson for its sophisticated womenswear. We like it even more because of its philanthropic counterpart: the Obakki Foundation, through which the sale of products like blankets, scarves and T-shirts provide clean water and education to those living in various regions in Africa.
- To champion human rights and animal welfare
Lush states that “charitable giving is at the heart of our business.” So it’s unsurprising that, in 2007, the U.K.–based cosmetics company created a body lotion—the Charity Pot ($8)—that benefits grassroots organizations working in favour of human rights, animal welfare and environmental preservation.
- To support single mothers
Vancouver’s own Blue Ruby Jewellery carries a collection of bead bracelets (from $20) which, through a collaboration with the Cause We Care Foundation, benefits vulnerable single mothers and their children in Metro Vancouver.
Read the full article about giving back this holiday season by Daniela Becerril at Vancouver Magazine.