Giving Compass’ Take:
• Sophia Cole identifies ways for philanthropists to make an impact for women by funding local projects that empower women in their communities.
• What opportunities exist in your community to lift women up? What are the most impactful long-term changes that you can make?
While we stand in awe at the strength and resilience of the voices who speak out, organize and push for gender equality, are we giving enough attention to our local, quiet heroines championing gender equality?
The smallest gesture can have the biggest impact. You do not have to be a celebrity or a political figure to join in the sweeping movement. By investing in women-led grassroots organizations in the U.S, you are investing in a ripple effect that improves local communities, the region, and our country.
- Invest in organizations that are women-led and have grassroots initiatives.
- Push for gender inclusiveness on your staff and board.
- Embed a gender equality lens in your funding framework: Collect data that disaggregates different intersections of gender and racial groups to understand where your money is really going.
- Support organizations that: influence others beliefs and actions; challenge stereotypes and biases; and forge positive visibility of women.
- Fund policy work and community engagement, which NCRP research has found produces a $115 to $1 return-on-investment.
Read the full article about the importance of funding women at the local level by Sophia Cole at the National Committee for Responsive Philanthropy.
If you are looking for more articles and resources for Women and Girls, take a look at these Giving Compass selections related to impact giving and Women and Girls.
Looking for a way to get involved?
A good way to complement your interest in Philanthropy is to connect with others. Check out these events, galas, conferences or volunteering opportunities related to Philanthropy.
Are you ready to give?
In addition to learning and connecting with others, taking action is a key step towards becoming an impact giver. If you are interested in giving with impact for Philanthropy take a look at these Giving Funds, Charitable Organizations or Projects.