What is Giving Compass?
We connect donors to learning resources and ways to support community-led solutions. Learn more about us.
Giving Compass' Take:
• As protests for George Floyd continue, SSIR editors compiled a list of articles, resources, and websites to help take action to address institutional racism in America.
• Philanthropy can play a role in responding to the systemic roots of racism that are present in our culture. How can donors use charitable giving to pursue justice and dismantle racist systems?
• Learn more about racial justice and how to support Black lives.
Racism in the United States has been a longstanding crisis that the COVID-19 pandemic has cast into an even harsher light. One of the latest violent examples of this intractable American scourge is the death of George Floyd after a white police officer in Minneapolis pinned his knee against Floyd's neck for eight minutes and 46 seconds. Before Floyd were many others: Ahmaud Arbery in Georgia; Breonna Taylor in Kentucky; Eric Garner in New York; Michael Brown in Missouri; Tony McDade in Florida; and black person after black person after black person.
After Floyd's murder, something broke in Americans' willingness to shrug off yet another instance of police killing black people. Peaceful and violent protests have spread across the country, raising condemnation and sympathy as tensions continue to escalate. Will racist ideologies continue to poison the United States? Can American society reform itself? To help answer these questions, SSIR's editors have assembled a list of articles, websites, and other resources to help leaders of social change and activists trying to put an end to this systemic problem.
- For a More Equitable America, Understand Race and Racism as Actions We Do and Can Undo
- The Bias of ‘Professionalism’ Standards (part of SSIR's series on DEI)
- Anti-Racism Resources (Google Doc from Sarah Sophie Flicker & Alyssa Klein)
Philanthropy's and Impact Investing's Role in the Struggle Against Racism
- Overcoming the Racial Bias in Philanthropic Funding
- Philanthropy on the Frontlines of Ferguson
- Capital for Justice: Spurring On Impact Investing for Racial Equity
- Equitable Big Bets for Marginalized Communities
Read the full article about addressing institutional racism at Stanford Social Innovation Review.