Giving Compass’ Take:
• In this Medium post, author Sylvia Brown details steps donors can take to give more thoughtfully and strategically over the holidays, taking a big step in impact-driven philanthropy.
• Of course, the goal is to keep up these practices all year long. Think about how you can use December and January as a momentum-builder for your giving journey.
• Need some help? Try our free personal donations manager, Giving Planner.
Last year, individual donors gave $280 billion to 1.5 million nonprofits. The vast majority of Americans claim to care about charitable effectiveness, yet only 15% spend even two hours a year investigating how to achieve meaningful impact. You may not have the resources of Bill and Melinda Gates or Mark Zuckerberg, but by taking just five minutes a week research your giving opportunities, you can make a bigger difference with your dollars.
Interested in learning more about Impact Philanthropy? Other readers at Giving Compass found the following articles helpful for impact giving related to Impact Philanthropy.
Here are five ways to be a smarter donor:
- No time to do your own investigating? Then pick an online giving platform committed to research, transparency and measuring impact.
- Want to focus on small organizations making a difference in your community? Then call the development director to discuss how you can invest in what most charities struggle to fund: core costs.
- Take the time this holiday season to focus on one specific cause — researching evidence is a great family bonding activity.
- Ear-mark some of your philanthropic capital for an investment at a low or “patient” rate of return may be one of the most effective ways of leveraging your giving.
- Follow the 50/30/20 rule: Focus half your giving on one charity or a select few that are most meaningful to you
Read the full article about how to give with more impact by Sylvia Brown from Medium.
Looking for a way to get involved?
If you are looking for opportunities to learn and connect with others interested in the topic of Impact Philanthropy, take a look at these events, galas, conferences and volunteering opportunities aggregated by Giving Compass.
Are you ready to give?
In addition to learning and connecting with others, taking action is a key step towards becoming an impact giver. If you are interested in giving with impact for Impact Philanthropy take a look at these Giving Funds, Charitable Organizations or Projects.