Giving Compass’ Take:
• Erin Halley, writing for VolunteerMatch, discusses best practices of how to volunteer during the coronavirus.
• How are you volunteering during the pandemic?
• Read more about volunteering during COVID-19.
COVID-19 has dramatically changed our lives, and many of us are feeling less connected to others. But, even as we learn to navigate these changes, it’s also empowering to see so many public illustrations of how we are connected — and that, when we each take actions towards helping our communities, and work together, we can make huge strides in combating these larger societal challenges.
By doing so, you are also taking care of yourself. Studies have shown that volunteering is good for your mental health. According to a VolunteerMatch study with UnitedHealthcare in 2017, there are many mental and emotional benefits to volunteering with:
- 93% reporting an improved mood
- 79% reporting lower stress levels
- 88% reporting increased self-esteem
Additionally, volunteering is good for employees as well:
- 91% of the people we surveyed believe it is important for an employer to allow employees to volunteer on paid time — offering a good opportunity to bring your wellness and social impact programs together at work.
- According to the Deloitte Volunteerism Impact Survey: 89% of employees believe that companies who provide volunteer activities offer a better overall working environment than those who do not.
- 77% of employees say company-sponsored volunteer activities are essential to employee well-being.
Now that you have a solid plan with what you want to do and how it fits into your life, what are ways that you can give back?
- Volunteer Virtually
- Volunteer In Person
- Help With COVID-19
- Turn Your Website Into A Volunteer Action Hub
Read the full article about volunteering by Erin Halley at VolunteerMatch.
Nonprofit Sector is a complex topic, and others found these selections from the Impact Giving archive from Giving Compass to be good resources.
Looking for a way to get involved?
If you are looking for opportunities to learn and connect with others interested in the topic of Coronavirus, take a look at these events, galas, conferences and volunteering opportunities aggregated by Giving Compass.
Are you ready to give?
If you are interested in Coronavirus, please see these relevant Issue Funds, Charitable Organizations or Projects where you can get involved.