Giving Compass’ Take:
• Maureen Forrest, the founder of the HOPE Foundation, offers advice on how to successfully operate a global NGO.
• For individual donors, why is it important to understand the effective operations of NGOs?
On January 30, 2020, The HOPE Foundation will celebrate its 20th anniversary with a gala in New York City. Founded two decades ago by Maureen Forrest, a native of Cork, Ireland, the NGO serves the slum-dwellers and street children of Kolkata (formerly Calcutta), India, who are otherwise frequently homeless, malnourished, lacking in access to medical care, and at risk for human trafficking.
Here, Forrest offers her top 10 tips for operating a successful global NGO:
1. If you are passionate and believe strongly in what you are doing, then make that passion your purpose.
2. Surround yourself with good people who believe in the work.
3. Once you make a commitment, always start your day by remembering that the commitment is at the heart of your work.
4. Be resilient. Sometimes your journey might be very difficult. Don’t ever give up. Remember the reason you started the work.
5. Work closely with colleagues in your home country and internationally. Maintain good working relationships and listen to advice from the people around you.
6. Always recognize your colleagues’ loyal contributions, especially those working with you for many years.
7. Always make sure that you operate to the highest standards of good governance and integrity.
8. Lead your staff by your own example. Be prepared to work even harder than they do.
9. Always thank your donors, regardless of the size of their donation. Value and treasure every one. Remember that they trust you to manage their contributions wisely.
10. Embrace an “attitude of gratitude.” This will serve you during tough times and ripple throughout your entire organization.
Read the full article about global nonprofit organization by MeiMei Fox at Forbes.
If you are looking for more articles and resources for Nonprofit Sector, take a look at these Giving Compass selections related to impact giving and Nonprofit Sector.
Looking for a way to get involved?
If you are looking for opportunities to learn and connect with others interested in the topic of Boards and Governance, take a look at these events, galas, conferences and volunteering opportunities aggregated by Giving Compass.
Are you ready to give?
Boards and Governance is an important topic. Other members found these Giving Funds, Charitable Organizations and Projects aggregated by Giving Compass to be relevant to individuals with a passion for Boards and Governance.