Giving Compass’ Take:
• Melissa Sines lays out steps for funders to take to support diversity, equity, and inclusion in nonprofits.
• How can funders understand their own role in maintaining the status quo?
• Learn about the Center for Effective Philanthropy’s report: Nonprofit Diversity Efforts: Current Practices and the Role of Foundations.
For philanthropy to advance equity in all communities, especially low-income communities and communities of color, it needs to be able to understand the demographics of the organizations being funded (and declined), the people being served, and the communities impacted. That data should be used to assess practices and drive decision making.
Here are some action steps funders can take right now:
- Be transparent with grantseekers and grantees and tell them how you are using the demographic data you collect from them.
- If you require your grantees to collect or report demographic data, help to build their capacity for collecting and reporting this information by funding technology, databases, and staff time committed to this effort.
- Seek out and give additional support to nonprofits led by diverse teams that are inclusive of the community they are serving in decision-making roles.
- Fund DEI skill building and efforts to shift culture in support of recruiting, hiring, retaining, and promoting leaders of color.
- Read the report from the Center for Effective Philanthropy, Nonprofit Diversity Efforts: Current Practices and the Role of Foundations.
Read the full article about supporting diversity, equity, and inclusion by Melissa Sines at PEAK Grantmaking.
Interested in learning more about Impact Philanthropy? Other readers at Giving Compass found the following articles helpful for impact giving related to Impact Philanthropy.
Looking for a way to get involved?
Impact Philanthropy is a fascinating topic, and others found these events, galas, conferences and volunteering opportunities aggregated by Giving Compass to be relevant for individuals with a passion for Impact Philanthropy.
Are you ready to give?
In addition to learning and connecting with others, taking action is a key step towards becoming an impact giver. If you are interested in giving with impact for Impact Philanthropy take a look at these Giving Funds, Charitable Organizations or Projects.