A growing number of educators around the world believe that project-based learning (PBL) is an important instructional approach that enables students to master academic skills and content knowledge, develop skills necessary for future success, and build the personal agency needed to tackle life’s and the world’s challenges.
A new Framework for High-Quality Project Based Learning (HQPBL) was developed to help teachers better prepare young people to contribute to the innovation economy. This post provides a brief rationale for project-based learning, outlines the new HQPBL framework, and provides tips on using the framework effectively.
The Framework includes six criteria that are meant to serve as a baseline for educators, organizations, parents, and students:
- Intellectual Challenge and Accomplishment- Students learn deeply, think critically, and strive for excellence.
- Authenticity-Students work on projects that are meaningful and relevant to their culture, their lives, and their future.
- Public Products-Students’ work is publicly displayed, discussed, and critiqued.
- Collaboration-Students collaborate with other students in person or online and/or receive guidance from adult mentors and experts.
- Project Management- Students use a project management process that enables them to proceed effectively from project initiation to completion.
- Reflection-Students reflect on their work and their learning throughout the project.
The Framework provides an essential starting point for educators, students, parents, and community members as they consider how to make classrooms and schools productive and innovative environments preparing students for adult success.
Read the full article on project-based learning framework by Tom Vander Ark at Getting Smart.
Interested in learning more about Education? Other readers at Giving Compass found the following articles helpful for impact giving related to Education.
Looking for a way to get involved?
A good way to complement your interest in Education is to connect with others. Check out these events, galas, conferences or volunteering opportunities related to Education.
Are you ready to give?
If you are looking for opportunities to take action and give money to Education, here are some Giving Funds, Charitable Organizations and Projects aggregated by Giving Compass where you can take immediate action.