Giving Compass’ Take:
• As artificial intelligence is continually advancing, businesses should take the time to understand more about the technology, ethics, and complexity of AI.
• How are companies responsibly using AI for social impact?
• Read about the AI for Good Global Summit that focuses on how AI can help achieve the Sustainable Development Goals.
Artificial intelligence (AI) is advancing rapidly, thanks to ever-more-powerful computing, massive growth in the availability of digital data and increasingly sophisticated algorithms.
The world’s largest technology firms are investing billions to develop their AI capabilities, and companies across industries, from travel to real estate to fashion, are racing to bring AI-enabled services to market.
AI also brings new social risks, including discrimination (from algorithmic bias), privacy (through the misuse of personal information), child rights (through lack of informed consent) and labor rights (because of the mass displacement of workers by machines). While by no means exhaustive, we believe the following seven considerations are essential for our members to factor into their AI strategies.
- AI is relevant for all industries, not just technology companies.
- The human rights and ethics impacts of AI are especially important.
- Environmental issues are important, too.
- Research, product development and marketing teams are essential to engage on sustainability.
- Companies will need to communicate the complexity of AI in accessible ways.
- Ethics and principles for AI are developing rapidly, but implementing them in practice is challenging.
- The future of AI is uncertain, but decisions today can have long-term consequences.
Read the full article about artificial intelligence and sustainable business by BSR (via TriplePundit).
Learning and benchmarking are key steps towards becoming an impact giver. If you are interested in giving with impact on North America take a look at these selections from Giving Compass.
Looking for a way to get involved?
If you are looking for opportunities to learn and connect with others interested in the topic of North America, take a look at these events, galas, conferences and volunteering opportunities aggregated by Giving Compass.
Are you ready to give?
If you are ready to take action and invest in causes for North America, check out these Giving Funds, Charitable Organizations and Projects related to North America.