Giving Compass’ Take:
• Give2Asia advocates giving to local grassroots nonprofits that can offer more knowledge, greater government cooperation, and more agency in developing nations.
• How can you incorporate local nonprofits into your giving portfolio?
• Learn more about Give2Asia’s nonprofit network.
Localized philanthropy is gaining traction with funders, who are fostering program ownership by empowering local stakeholders.
1. More Ownership: Local nonprofits are inherently more invested in the long-term outcome of their work.
2. Local Knowledge: Funders can have more impact dollar-for-dollar by going straight to local program implementers.
3. Higher Return on Investment: Directly supporting the operations and sustainability of local organizations offers a lower cost structure and a stronger foundation for long-term impact.
4. Greater Relevance: Savvy funders to seek bottom-up models that prioritize local knowledge and ownership.
5. Diversification: Funders can increase their odds of achieving a desired impact through a portfolio of local partnerships.
6. Government Relations: Most governments and communities look favorably on local nonprofits with self-directed programs—and the funders who support them.
Read the full article about funding grassroots NGOs overseas at Give2Asia.
If you are looking for more articles and resources for Philanthropy, take a look at these Giving Compass selections related to impact giving and Philanthropy.
Looking for a way to get involved?
If you are interested in Global Development, please see these relevant events, training, conferences or volunteering opportunities the Giving Compass team recommends.
Are you ready to give?
If you are interested in Global Development, please see these relevant Issue Funds, Charitable Organizations or Projects where you can get involved.