Giving Compass’ Take:
• Give2Asia advocates giving to local grassroots nonprofits that can offer more knowledge, greater government cooperation, and more agency in developing nations.
• How can you incorporate local nonprofits into your giving portfolio?
• Learn more about Give2Asia’s nonprofit network.
Localized philanthropy is gaining traction with funders, who are fostering program ownership by empowering local stakeholders.
1. More Ownership: Local nonprofits are inherently more invested in the long-term outcome of their work.
2. Local Knowledge: Funders can have more impact dollar-for-dollar by going straight to local program implementers.
3. Higher Return on Investment: Directly supporting the operations and sustainability of local organizations offers a lower cost structure and a stronger foundation for long-term impact.
4. Greater Relevance: Savvy funders to seek bottom-up models that prioritize local knowledge and ownership.
5. Diversification: Funders can increase their odds of achieving a desired impact through a portfolio of local partnerships.
6. Government Relations: Most governments and communities look favorably on local nonprofits with self-directed programs—and the funders who support them.
Read the full article about funding grassroots NGOs overseas at Give2Asia.
Learning and benchmarking are key steps towards becoming an impact giver. If you are interested in giving with impact on Philanthropy take a look at these selections from Giving Compass.
Looking for a way to get involved?
If you are looking for opportunities to learn and connect with others interested in the topic of Global Development, take a look at these events, galas, conferences and volunteering opportunities aggregated by Giving Compass.
Are you ready to give?
If you are ready to take action and invest in causes for Global Development, check out these Giving Funds, Charitable Organizations and Projects related to Global Development.