Over the past 40 years, Eldon Mayer has been a moving force for most of the island’s nonprofits, including a superb library, a recreational center that has both a basketball court and a pool, and a high-quality day care and early childhood learning center, open year-round.
Here are the steps the group came up with:
- Transfer the foundation’s remaining funds to the Maine Community Foundation as a donor-advised fund, called The Recompense Fund.
- Form a hands-on board of advisors, all who are dedicated to Chebeague and bring specific experience and skills.
- Communicate the goal of The Recompense Fund—to sustain the year-round community of Chebeague—via information every month in the town newsletter and on the island website; explain the change, tell stories, ask for feedback, and be transparent.
- Invite everyone to be a contributor.
- Remind givers, in every message, that their first and best dollars should go to their favorite nonprofits, and only then should they give to The Recompense Fund.
All because a generous man who cared deeply about the island was willing to think creatively, was reality-based, took succession planning for the fundamental priority that it must be, and did what is best for his community.
Since you are interested in Impact Philanthropy, have you read these selections from Giving Compass related to impact giving and Impact Philanthropy?
Looking for a way to get involved?
Family Philanthropy is a fascinating topic, and others found these events, galas, conferences and volunteering opportunities aggregated by Giving Compass to be relevant for individuals with a passion for Family Philanthropy.
Are you ready to give?
In addition to learning and connecting with others, taking action is a key step towards becoming an impact giver. If you are interested in giving with impact for Family Philanthropy take a look at these Giving Funds, Charitable Organizations or Projects.