Giving Compass’ Take:
• Kayla Matthews reports that digital technology is continually changing multiple facets of volunteering. Millennials and retirees are getting involved and making their own impact on volunteering.
• What are the benefits and drawbacks of technology’s influence on volunteering? How can organizations best incorporate these trends into their work?
• Learn how to motivate students to volunteer.
Organizations that assist others and their communities rely on committed volunteers. And these trends have the potential to change what compels people to give their time to good causes.
- Retired People Giving Back to Fill Their Schedules: Research from Canada finds that regular volunteering reduces the risk of dementia and isolation in retired people.
- People Using Their Smartphones to Donate: The devastating natural disasters that afflicted many regions last year helped more do-gooders grow accustomed to sending text donations from their smartphones.
- An Increased Focus on Purposeful Volunteer Opportunities: In an effort to attract more millennials, more nonprofits are emphasizing how they offer ways to add purpose to people’s lives through volunteering.
- More Modernized Recruiting Methods: Although some organizations in need of volunteers will still reach out to prospective volunteers via traditional methods — such as flyers on bulletin boards and radio interviews that mention how to get involved — there will be an ever-growing emphasis on social media marketing.
- Virtual Reality Used as a Volunteer Training Tool: Australian government official Craig Crawford is looking at ways to harness virtual reality to give volunteers the training they need without being overly disruptive to their schedules.
- An Upswing in Virtual Volunteering: Volunteering online allows people to make a meaningful impact without encountering some of the common obstacles that can ultimately convince individuals to delay their intentions to get involved.
Read the full article about volunteer trends by Kayla Matthews at VolunteerMatch.
Since you are interested in Volunteering, have you read these selections from Giving Compass related to impact giving and Volunteering?
Are you ready to give?
If you are looking for opportunities to take action and give money to Volunteering, here are some Giving Funds, Charitable Organizations and Projects aggregated by Giving Compass where you can take immediate action.