Giving Compass’ Take:
• There is a greater need for effective systems leaders as investments in the social sector become more complex. In this post, the authors compile a list of characteristics of a thoughtful leader.
• What are the key ways to ensure leaders feel supported in their roles?
• Check out the Giving Compass Boards and Leadership Magazine.
Investments in the social sector have become increasingly complex, with many foundations shifting toward strategies focused on improving outcomes for entire populations and communities. These systemic change efforts require coordination among stakeholders across all levels of the practice and policy continuum — from direct service providers to nonprofit intermediaries, funders, advocacy organizations, and policymakers.
It is in this context that The James Irvine Foundation’s Linked Learning Regional Hubs of Excellence investment serves as a systems change experiment, offering insights and critical lessons that can inform others undertaking similar work. In this first post of a three-part series based on our recent Issue Brief, we share themes from this project about what it takes to be an effective systems leader:
- Thinking Systemically
- Having an open mindset
- Pressing for an unwavering attention to diversity, equity, and inclusion
- Building relationships and trust
- Practicing effective communication
Read the full list of characteristics about effective leaders by Kimberly Edmunds and Mike Matsunaga at Medium.
Learning and benchmarking are key steps towards becoming an impact giver. If you are interested in giving with impact on Philanthropy take a look at these selections from Giving Compass.
Looking for a way to get involved?
Collective Impact is a fascinating topic, and others found these events, galas, conferences and volunteering opportunities aggregated by Giving Compass to be relevant for individuals with a passion for Collective Impact.
Are you ready to give?
Collective Impact is an important topic. Other members found these Giving Funds, Charitable Organizations and Projects aggregated by Giving Compass to be relevant to individuals with a passion for Collective Impact.