Giving Compass’ Take:
• GlobalGiving describes the reasons why and how funders can help vulnerable immigrant children during their time in need.
• Is there an action you can take in your local community to help immigrant children?
Migrant and immigrant children are some of the most vulnerable populations in the United States. From fleeing high levels of violence in their home countries and completing a dangerous journey to the U.S. border, to facing detainment for months, immigrant children face many barriers to safety and wellbeing.
However, the suffering of children can sometimes feel discouraging and overwhelming to think about, especially when faced with saddening news stories daily. Many of us wonder “How can I help immigrant children?” But we feel powerless to make a real difference.
Fortunately, it is possible for you to help migrant and immigrant children. Learn more about why immigrant children need your help, and how you can personally do something right now.
There are several important reasons why migrant and immigrant children are vulnerable. They range from health concerns and poverty to recent political developments.
- Thousands of migrant children have been separated from their families One of the most pressing issues involving immigrant children is the separation of more than 2,300 children from their families at the U.S. – Mexico border.
- Undocumented immigrant children are not eligible for healthcare coverage in most state Only six states and the District of Columbia provide healthcare coverage for undocumented children. This means that many children likely go without regular check-ups or seek medical attention when necessary.
- DACA may be ending DACA, or Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals, is a program that allows young immigrants who were brought to the U.S. illegally as children to defer deportation and apply for a work permit.
- After trauma, many migrant children struggle in school In addition, many migrant children have suffered months or years of trauma in their home country or during their journey to the U.S., which worsens their ability to adjust to a new culture and language
Read the full article about why we should help immigrant children at GlobalGiving.
Nonprofit Sector is a complex topic, and others found these selections from the Impact Giving archive from Giving Compass to be good resources.
Looking for a way to get involved?
Children and Youth is a fascinating topic, and others found these events, galas, conferences and volunteering opportunities aggregated by Giving Compass to be relevant for individuals with a passion for Children and Youth.
Are you ready to give?
If you are looking for opportunities to take action and give money to Children and Youth, here are some Giving Funds, Charitable Organizations and Projects aggregated by Giving Compass where you can take immediate action.