How we define ‘impact-driven philanthropy’
Impact‐driven philanthropy is the practice of investing our time, talents, and resources thoughtfully and intentionally to advance meaningful change. Guided by the principles and practices below, we have a passion for leaning into complex issues and finding solutions that make a lasting difference.
What principles do impact-driven philanthropists share?
There’s no one‐size‐fits‐all formula for creating change. But we’ve learned that a common set of principles can guide us toward effective practices and away from unnecessary pitfalls so we can do the most good for the causes that motivate us.
- Humility. We know we don’t have all the answers, so we we’re eager to listen to and learn from others, especially those who are closest to the challenges we’re addressing.
- Growth Mindset. We come to this work with a passion for learning and improving. We assess our giving so we can learn from our successes and our failures. We share our knowledge for the benefit of others.
- Transparency. We are open about our decision-making processes and are clear about the intent of our giving.
- Integrity. We are guided by a strong moral and ethical compass. Whether it be for a community, a country, or the planet, we strive to deliver a public benefit to better the world.
- Fairness. We believe that potential is evenly distributed but opportunity is not. We work to understand where there are structural or historical inequities hindering the people and communities we aim to serve.
- Collaboration. Powerful giving results from harnessing leadership within and working in partnership with the communities we seek to support.
- Empowerment. We build the capacity of leaders and organizations to provide people with the resources required to change systems.
- Joy. We intentionally draw upon our values, ethics, and life-experiences to identify the causes we want to address and guide our giving, which increases meaning and joy and inspires us to sustain our efforts.
Impact-driven philanthropy is a personal journey that offers many paths for exploration and discovery