What is Giving Compass?
We connect donors to learning resources and ways to support community-led solutions. Learn more about us.
Giving Compass' Take:
• Tech giant Cisco is using its resources to tackle the three SDGs on education, economic growth, and creating sustainable cities.
• How can other companies align their social missions toward SDG achievement?
• Read about whether or not U.S. cities can help the world achieve the SDGs.
In 2015, the United Nations adopted the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development, which includes 17 Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). Tech giant Cisco says it has been committed to aligning its core business processes with the SDGs in order to help build a sustainable planet.
Here are three areas where the company’s sustainability strategy particularly stands out.
- SDG #4 – Education: Cisco insists that it is committed to building a digital foundation to improve education across all of society. To that end, the company has partnered with the New Teacher Center (NTC), the mission of which is to improve student learning by accelerating the effectiveness of new teachers, experienced teachers, and school leaders. NTC works with school districts to select and train exemplary teachers, who provide mentorship to new teachers.
- SDG #8 – Decent Economic Growth: Cisco’s economic empowerment programs are an attempt by the company to connect underserved people to skills, meaningful employment, financial products and services and opportunities they need to develop careers in the digital economy.For example, Cisco touts its partnership with Living Goods, which empowers a network of women called Community Health Promoters (CHPs).
- SDG #11 – Sustainable Cities: Cisco’s claims that its approach to helping build sustainable and “smart cities” begins with the areas where the company has the greatest potential for impact—reducing energy consumption and improving resource use efficiency. The company’s greenhouse gas reduction goals are focused in the areas of operations, supply chain, products and solutions.
Read the full article about Cisco and the SDGs by Vikas Vij at TriplePundit