What is Giving Compass?
We connect donors to learning resources and ways to support community-led solutions. Learn more about us.
Giving Compass' Take:
• Food Tank highlights 7 ways to celebrate Valentine's Day with your loved one by being sustainable and straying away from excess waste.
• What are some ways to curb waste production from the holidays? How can people take a more conscious and sustainable effort when it comes to celebrating or purchasing gifts?
Let’s give the planet some love this Valentine’s Day instead of waste! According to the U.N. Food and Agricultural Organization (FAO), “approximately 8 million metric tons of plastic waste enters the ocean every year.” But this Valentine’s Day skip the plastic packaging, conflict diamonds, and chocolate. Buy compostable Valentine’s cards, responsibly sourced jewelry, or find a treat that was produced sustainably or with edible packaging. Food Tank has compiled a list of ideas to celebrate Valentine’s Day with your loved ones while loving the Earth.
- Visit a local brewery, distillery, or winery.
- Take a cooking class.
- Cook a waste-free meal together.
- Wine and Chocolate night.
- Get outdoors!
- Pay it forward.
- Buy sustainable products and packaging
Read the full article on these 7 ways to celebrate Valentine's Day without the waste by Danielle Nierenberg at Food Tank