What is Giving Compass?
We connect donors to learning resources and ways to support community-led solutions. Learn more about us.
To make the most meaningful impact on our children, they should be actively involved and able to relate to the cause.
- Donate: Financial donations can be impactful for kids if it’s from their own hard earned money. As you’re teaching your child about finance, start a save/spend/share jar system.
- Give a gift to a child in need.
- Throw a holiday giving party: Throw a craft party where the kids make cards for troops overseas or decorations for a nursing home. Or ask each friend to bring a gently used toy that can be donated.
- Start in your own neighborhood: Do you have an elderly neighbor who lives alone? Bake some cookies with the kids to bring over.
- Visit a nursing home.
- Support a local family.
- Build a house: If they are too little to actually work, they can hand out snacks and drinks to the volunteers.
- Start a class project: No better way to engage kids than by making them the leader.
Read the full article on teaching children about charity by Liz Frazier Peck at Forbes