Giving Compass' Take:
- Here are steps that nonprofit leaders should take before asking community leaders to become board members.
- How can community leaders provide critical lived experience to nonprofit boards?
- Learn more about boards and leadership.
What is Giving Compass?
We connect donors to learning resources and ways to support community-led solutions. Learn more about us.
A board of directors plays an essential role in nonprofit organizations. As individuals, their leadership experiences and skills are critical in helping to establish a mission and set goals. As a group, they help an organization set up within a community and hit the ground running.
Forming relationships with well-known community leaders and inviting them to join the board can be a simple way to cement a nonprofit’s place in a community while also making genuine local connections. However, current board members must be careful to do their due diligence before extending a formal invitation.
To help, eight Forbes Nonprofit Council members each share one important step nonprofit leaders should take before approaching a well-known community leader to ask them to join their board of directors.
- Lean On Current Board Members For Introductions
- Determine Why You Are Recruiting This Person
- Connect The Mission With How They Can Make A Difference
- Ensure There Is Mission Alignment
- Make Their Value-Add Clear
- Create A Defined Strategy
- Identify Their Level Of Commitment
- Articulate How They Will Impact The Organization
Read the full article about nonprofit boards at Forbes.