What is Giving Compass?
We connect donors to learning resources and ways to support community-led solutions. Learn more about us.
Giving Compass' Take:
• Here are six questions that funders can ask regarding whether or not organizations are supporting disability inclusion in their work.
• How are your charitable dollars bolstering disability inclusion?
• Learn about this framework for disability inclusion design.
Funders have an opportunity to protect and preserve disability civil and human rights for the 1 in 4 Americans that have a disability. How can we alter our practices to be intentional about disability-inclusive giving? How can applying a disability lens create more effective grantmaking, especially now?
Crises like this pandemic can overshadow the needs and experiences of the disability, chronically ill, and aging communities. Below are six questions funders can ask potential and current grantees in support of disability inclusion, now and in your overall grantmaking strategies.
- How does your work impact disability communities?
- Do you allocate funds in your budgets for accessibility or access needs?
- Do you have disability representation within your staff and Board of Directors?'
- Are your materials 508-compliant and available in plain language formats?
- Do you incorporate a Disability Justice framework in your work?
- Ask each of the questions above to ourselves.
Read the full article about supporting disability and inclusion by Ryan Easterly at Northern California Grantmakers.