Giving Compass' Take:
- Peter Prix highlights four micro-donation platforms that can be used to donate as little as $1.00 at a time.
- How can you support making giving more accessible? How can funders help to ensure that donations of all sizes have an impact?
- Learn about social media and charitable giving.
What is Giving Compass?
We connect donors to learning resources and ways to support community-led solutions. Learn more about us.
Due to technological progress in mobile payment technologies and a further reduction in transaction fees over the past years, micro-donations yield tremendous potential for charitable fundraising from the public. Already today, a number of charitable fundraising platforms leverage the potential of micro-philanthropy and collect micro-donations for good causes.
The following is an overview of mobile platforms collecting micro-donations as low as US$1.00:
1. ShareTheMeal: Collecting micro-donations for the World Food Programme, the Sharethemeal mobile app allows users to make micro-donations toward solving world hunger. With the aim of appealing to millennials, Sharethemeal’s strategy is to make donations as frictionless and as transparent as possible.
2. Google One Today: A mobile app that enables users to donate $1 a day to their favorite nonprofits. The Google One app allows users to make small donations to causes they care about and immediately see the impact it makes. With a motto of “Give a little, change a lot,” it encourages small donations and calls on users to challenge friends to match them. The Google One app lets users browse causes they care about and see exactly how their contribution will make an impact.
3. Google One Today: A mobile app that enables users to donate $1 a day to their favorite nonprofits.
4. Spotfund: Spotfund is a mobile app that lets users donate $1, $2 or $3 to causes and current events.
Read the full article about micro-donations by Peter Prix at Medium.