What is Giving Compass?
We connect donors to learning resources and ways to support community-led solutions. Learn more about us.
Giving Compass' Take:
• The Schott Foundation and LGBTQ Funders highlight the need for philanthropy to intervene to protect LGBTQ students, many of whom feel unsafe at school.
• What rights and protections do LGBTQ students in your state have? What partnerships could help you support LGBTQ youth?
• Read about moving the needle on opinions of LGBTQ rights.
A new infographic highlights the challenges facing LGBTQ students and analyzes trends, gaps, and opportunities in funding for LGBTQ education issues.
Produced in partnership between Funders for LGBTQ Issues and Schott, we hope this infographic will help both those in philanthropy and LGBTQ advocates to chart a better course toward a future where all LGBTQ youth attend well-resourced, supportive and safe public schools. Schott is proud to be a longtime supporter of grassroots LGBTQ youth organizing as a crucial component of the education justice movement.
- For every $100 awarded by U.S. foundations to education, only 15 cents were devoted to funding for LGBTQ education and safe schools.
- More than 6 in 10 LGBTQ students experience discriminatory policies or practices at school.
- While LGBTQ youth make up 7-9 percent of youth nationwide, they account for 20 percent of all youth in juvenile justice facilities (and 85 percent of them are youth of color).
- Funding for LGTBQ education and safe schools has fluctuated over the past five years, but has never exceeded $9 million in a given year.
- The top ten funders of LGBTQ education and safe schools issues account for nearly three-quarters of the funding.
Read the full article about supporting LGBTQ students at Schott Foundation for Public Education.