Advancing racial equity in philanthropy requires doing a lot of unlearning and relearning. This fundamental set of grantmaking for equity practices are a great place for all lean funders to start. That being said, these actions are just the beginning. They complement a continual journey of learning about systemic racism.
- Eliminate barriers to entry
- Streamline your application and reporting requirements
- Immerse yourself in your chosen community or issue and get knowledgeable before moving forward
- Expand your circle and go beyond your comfort zone of acquired knowledge
- Get to know your grantees
- Rethink your data collection
- Consider the time horizon for your goals
- Know the stresses on your grantees
- Save time and labor for you and applicants
Read the full article about grantmaking for equity by Andy Carroll at Exponent Philanthropy.