What is Giving Compass?
We connect donors to learning resources and ways to support community-led solutions. Learn more about us.
Disasters bring out the best in people. Donations to charities surge as television coverage increases. Yet we know from experience that both coordination and effective spending of donor dollars is a particular challenge, not just while the disaster is underway, but also in the long-term, as rebuilding begins. As families and communities begin to clean up and consider how long their power will be out, private philanthropists turn their attention to the question, “How can I help?”
- Take the long view: Even while focusing on immediate needs, remember that it will take some time for the full range of needs to emerge.
- Recognize that there are places private philanthropy can help that government agencies might not.
- All funders are disaster philanthropists
- Support the sharing of best practices
- Connect with other funders
- Look to past disasters for guidance
- Ask the experts
Read the full article on disaster giving by Center for Disaster Philanthropy.