Giving Compass’ Take:
• Kris Putnam-Walkerly shares five common challenges funders can expect in grantmaking and tips on how to prepare for them.
• From recognizing and sharing power to embedding learning in an organization’s culture, there are many tactics here that every grantmaker would find useful in developing an impact plan.
• Here’s an example of next-generation grantmaking.
Do more than ready yourself for the unexpected.
We have been told for most of our lives to prepare for the unexpected—save for a rainy day, have a Plan B and apply to some “safety schools” in case you don’t get accepted by your top-choice university. While being prepared for the unexpected is smart, it’s not as important as being prepared for the expected.
As a philanthropist, your ultimate goal is to make the world a better place. To put ideas into action and create change where it is needed. One way to achieve this impact quickly and effectively is to be prepared for the expected. Problems will arise—that’s a guarantee—so you might as well be ready to deal with them.
Let’s Get Started!
- There will be a lack of patience and a lot of pressure during planning. You’re designing a new grant program. Everyone is on board, your team is enthusiastic and planning efforts are underway.
- You will need data. You’re starting a five-year funding initiative, and you know in your bones that when it’s over, the project will need another five years to solidify and continue the investment.
Read the full article about grantmaking challenges by Kris Putnam-Walkerly at LinkedIn.
Learning and benchmarking are key steps towards becoming an impact giver. If you are interested in giving with impact on Philanthropy take a look at these selections from Giving Compass.
Looking for a way to get involved?
Learning with others and benchmarking are key steps towards becoming an impact giver. If you are interested in giving with impact for Philanthropy, take a look at these events, galas, conferences and volunteering opportunities to connect with individuals like you.
Are you ready to give?
Philanthropy is an important topic. Other members found these Giving Funds, Charitable Organizations and Projects aggregated by Giving Compass to be relevant to individuals with a passion for Philanthropy.