What is Giving Compass?
We connect donors to learning resources and ways to support community-led solutions. Learn more about us.
Giving Compass' Take:
• This story from B the Change highlights the journey of Taos Ski Valley as it became a certified B Corporation and took on the "Inclusive Economy Challenge."
• What can other businesses seeking to become a force for good in their community learn from Taos Ski Valley's example?
• To learn about 3 first steps for your business to make a positive impact, click here.
With more than 630 full-time employees and more than 200 part-time workers, Taos Ski Valley is among the biggest employers in Taos, which has a year-round population near 5,600. Through its purpose-driven work reflected by its B Corp certification, Taos Ski Valley also aims to be the best place to work in its community.
While Taos Ski Valley realizes it’s still in the early stages of its Inclusive Economy Challenge journey — and currently working to finalize its 2019 goals — the experience already has led to changes and improvements. These include ongoing attention to practices that make the workplace more diverse and inclusive.
“The IEC has helped us become more aware of our recruitment processes and the need to revamp our strategy, literature and hiring processes,” Caskey says. Taos Ski Valley took several steps to make that happen, including:
- Updating the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission statement that outlines inclusivity and applying it to all job descriptions and postings.
- Providing training on unconscious hiring bias to the management team.
- Getting more creative with outreach and community involvement.
Some of the changes that have provided the biggest impact include financial services for workers, inclusive hiring and supplier practices. Here’s a closer look at the progress Taos Ski Valley made during last year’s Inclusive Economy Challenge.
- Enhanced financial services for employees
- Inclusive hiring practices
- Diversity and inclusion training
- Supplier screening
Read the full article about the inclusive economy at B the Change