To help impact-driven donors transform their generosity into meaningful change for communities and society.
We embrace fresh ideas, forward thinking, and fast improvements.
We are accountable to our mission and to delivering a public benefit.
We are driven by the desire to do the right thing.
We believe in the power of elevating diverse voices and representing the breadth and depth of work in our sector.
We’re motivated by the joy of giving and spreading it.
What We Do
Giving Compass serves as a trusted platform to help individual donors learn about issues, get involved, and give with impact.
In the US, 80% of giving to nonprofits comes from individuals (Giving USA). While the amount we give is important, how we give also matters.
We are guided by the principles of impact-driven philanthropy (IDP).
Ensuring resources and power are fairly redistributed so all humans experience dignity and opportunity.
Drawing on evidence, collecting feedback, and evaluating progress using quantitative and qualitative data.
Addressing institutional, systemic, and structural root causes to eliminate inequities in social outcomes.
Centering beneficiaries in the co-creation of solutions, ensuring integrity and accountability in processes and relationships.
Who We Support
Access learning content, find opportunities to get involved, and give to trusted organizations.
Reach donors through our platform by sharing your expertise and insights.
Giving Compass was inspired by Jeff and Tricia Raikes, co-founders of the Raikes Foundation. Early in their own giving journey, they met other donors who faced a similar challenge: Finding targeted resources to guide a values-aligned, community-inclusive, and effective giving strategy.
Giving Compass Timeline
- June 2017 Giving Compass goes live in partnership with Giving Tech Labs as a minimal viable product (MVP)
- November 2018 Giving Compass publishes Charting Our Course: First-year Reflections
- June 2019 Giving Compass spins out from Giving Tech Labs from an MVP product toward a long-term, scalable platform
- July 2019 In partnership with Stanford PACS, Giving Compass launches the Philanthropy Resource Directory
- December 2019 Giving Compass reaches 40,000 users per month
- December 2019 Giving Compass publishes its 2019 annual reflection
- March 2020 In partnership with National Center for Family Philanthropy, Giving Compass launches the Coronavirus and COVID-19 Funds Directory
- May 2020 Giving Compass surpasses 78,000 users - 200% YoY growth
The world faces many pressing problems, but impact-driven donors can create lasting change by proactively learning more, getting involved, and giving with impact.
Guided by the principles of IDP -- equity, effectiveness, due diligence, and transparency -- Giving Compass:
- Presents facts and frameworks in our library of curated and original articles, columns, videos, and podcasts. Updated daily. Sign up for our newsletter.
- Features event listings, volunteer opportunities, and tools to help donors connect with others, find support, and get involved.
- Creates partnerships with nonprofit and philanthropy experts to provide credible information and trusted best practices.
- Offers a dynamic digital platform for the best user experience.
- 85% of donors want more impact
- 32% spend 2 hours per year to inform their giving
- 9% do comparative research before giving
Our Content Partners
Blue Meridian Partners
Center for Effective Philanthropy
Center for High Impact Philanthropy
Leap Ambassadors Community
National Center for Family Philanthropy
National Committee for Responsive Philanthropy
Science Philanthropy Alliance
Social Impact Exchange
Social Venture Partners
Stanford Social Innovation Review
The Johnson Center
The Life You Can Save
The Philanthropic Initiative (TPI)
The Philanthropy Workshop
Women's Philanthropy Institute
Giving Compass offers a range of partnership opportunities.
VP of Philanthropy & Impact
Editor in Chief
VP of Engineering & Product
Senior Financial Executive
Senior Software Engineer
Strategic Partnership Management
Content and Community Associate
Jr. Web Developer
Senior Product Manager
Social Media Specialist
Join The Giving Compass Team
Jeff & Tricia Raikes
1109 1st Ave
Seattle WA 98101