Though we all are experiencing a great deal of uncertainty as coronavirus spreads, we’re focused on the impact this will have on the most vulnerable among us. Significant numbers of people in our communities are facing extraordinary challenges beyond the immediate health threats, ranging from lost wages to racism. And nonprofits are experiencing economic challenges due to lost service revenue and cancelled fundraising events at the same time as they experience increased demands to serve vulnerable populations.
We’ve compiled a roundup of resources sharing guidance on how donors can be most effective during this time.
- The Center for High-Impact Philanthropy provides a toolkit and guidance for donors to address COVID-19.
- VolunteerMatch shares opportunities for volunteering during COVID-19.
- Fidelity Charitable offers key guidance to address short- and long-term impacts of COVID-19.
- The Milken Institute’s COVID-19 Philanthropy Hub curates the ways social investors can respond to the short-term health, economic, and social support needs in their own communities and well beyond.
- The Milken Institute for Strategic Philanthropy lays out a number of ways to put philanthropic capital to work immediately, and tackle the impact of coronavirus from a multitude of angles.
- National Committee for Responsive Philanthropy highlights exemplary funding responses to COVID-19.
- Rockefeller Philanthropy Advisors provides suggestions and recommendations for donors who want to make an impact.
- National Committee for Responsive Philanthropy highlights the importance of Grassroots Mutual Aid Networks and explains how donors can support them.
- David and Jennifer Risher created the #HalfMyDAF movement to quickly deploy the funds currently sitting in Donor-Advised Funds.
- Coastal Enterprises, Inc highlights the potential of rural philanthropy during COVID-19.
- Philanthropy Together suggests resources for giving circles.
- The Milken Institute Center for Strategic Philanthropy urges donor-advised fund holders to deploy capital quickly.
- National Center for Family Philanthropy offers insights for family funders and guidance for donors.
- Giving Compass urges donors to engage in reimagining and restructuring amid COVID-19.
- Social Venture Partners International provides five ways donors can act now for a more just post-pandemic world.
- Tricia Raikes calls for systems change in the wake of COVID-19.
Inequality and Marginalized Communities:
- Giving Compass encourages donors to keep up pressure for gender equality amid COVID-19.
- Phīla Engaged Giving encourages equity and abundance in emergency response.
- FSG shares seven recommendations to help address inequities during public health crises.
- Grantmakers Concerned with Immigrants and Refugees supplies ways to supporting immigrant communities.
- Antony Bugg-Levine shares six steps donors can take to support nonprofits.
- Vu Le addresses past and current challenges faced by nonprofits.
- Giving Compass explains the individual donor’s edge in addressing COVID-19.
- The Milken Institute shares how philanthropy can address the mental health fallout of COVID-19.
- Global Washington gives advice for implementing and monitoring sustainable WASH solutions.
- The Milken Insitute highlights philanthropy’s role in supporting higher education during COVID-19.
- American Journalism Project explains the needs of nonprofit news organizations during this pandemic.
- The Milken Institute offers insights for addressing top biomed challenges during COVID-19.
Ready to take action?
Search our dedicated Coronavirus and COVID-19 issue funds page to find vetted organizations to support.
Interested in learning more about COVID-19? Other readers at Giving Compass found the following articles helpful for impact giving related to COVID-19.
Looking for a way to get involved?
If you are interested in COVID-19, please see these relevant events, training, conferences or volunteering opportunities the Giving Compass team recommends.
Are you ready to give?
If you are ready to take action and invest in causes for COVID-19, check out these Giving Funds, Charitable Organizations and Projects related to COVID-19.