Giving Compass’ Take:
• The Atlantic Philanthropies details its work helping the country’s aging population have more agency over their lives and communities.
• Which of the tips detailed here might apply to the U.S. and our elder care? Two big takeaways: Have patience over the long-term and make sure that all voices are heard.
To help the Republic of Ireland better serve the needs of its fast-growing population of older adults, Atlantic made investments to support the development of age-friendly policies. This includes enabling older adults to:
- Have a real say in what happens in their own lives and what happens in the areas in which they live.
- Enjoy good quality of life, access to excellent services, and a secure and enabling environment.
- Be engaged and have opportunities to participate fully in everything that is going on in their cities and counties
Since you are interested in Impact Philanthropy, have you read these selections from Giving Compass related to impact giving and Impact Philanthropy?
What We Learned From This Work:
- An idea that starts as a pilot can lead to lasting change if funders are willing to stick with it over a long period of time and allow opportunities for experimentation, growth and collaboration from within and outside the field.
- When entering an emerging field, it is essential to work with and support executive-level leaders who are committed to the goals and can exercise authority needed to move an agenda forward.
- To ensure the voices of older people are reflected in decisions about policies and services affecting them, funders must invest in baseline studies, underwrite training in effective advocacy and provide ongoing opportunities to shape the agenda.
Read the full article about age-friendly policies at The Atlantic Philanthropies.
Looking for a way to get involved?
If you are looking for opportunities to learn and connect with others interested in the topic of Europe, take a look at these events, galas, conferences and volunteering opportunities aggregated by Giving Compass.
Are you ready to give?
If you are interested in Europe, please see these relevant Issue Funds, Charitable Organizations or Projects where you can get involved.