What is Giving Compass?
We connect donors to learning resources and ways to support community-led solutions. Learn more about us.
- Keep an eye on how much time children spend online and ensure it is not interfering with activities such as socializing, exercising, eating and sleeping.
- Consider bans on devices at mealtimes and take them away an hour before bedtime. Do not let children charge devices in their rooms.
- Talk regularly to children about what they do online, what posts they have made that day, who they are friends with and how it is affecting their mood.
- With younger children, have access to passwords to regularly check content.
- Remember, Facebook, Twitter or Instagram officially bar children under 13 from having accounts.
- Encourage children to use the internet for creative things - helping with homework, making their own content.
Read the full article on protecting kids from social media by Jane Wakefield at BBC