In today’s polarized labor market, there is a critical need to identify middle-skill jobs that pay good wages with benefits. WorkAdvance, a sectoral-focused advancement program, is designed to find and fill such jobs, serving workers and employers alike. For unemployed and low-wage working adults, the program provides work training in targeted sectors that have good-quality job openings and opportunities for upward mobility. For employers in those sectors, WorkAdvance identifies and trains workers who are prepared to meet technical skill and work readiness expectations and grow into second and third jobs.
The WorkAdvance model combines elements of sector-based initiatives with post-employment retention and advancement support.
It has five components:
- Intensive screening of program applicants for motivation and readiness
- Sector-appropriate pre-employment and career readiness services, including orientation to the sector and career advancement coaching
- Sector-specific occupational skills training aligned with employer needs and leading to certifications
that are in demand in the regional labor market
- Sector-specific job development and placement services based on strong relationships with
- Postemployment retention and advancement services, including ongoing contact, coaching,
skills training, and rapid reemployment help if needed
This brief draws out some of the main implementation lessons for the benefit of organizations and partnerships that aim to
build on the best of sector-based training and post-employment retention and advancement support.
Interested in learning more about Impact Philanthropy? Other readers at Giving Compass found the following articles helpful for impact giving related to Impact Philanthropy.
Looking for a way to get involved?
Education is a fascinating topic, and others found these events, galas, conferences and volunteering opportunities aggregated by Giving Compass to be relevant for individuals with a passion for Education.
Are you ready to give?
If you are ready to take action and invest in causes for Education, check out these Giving Funds, Charitable Organizations and Projects related to Education.