Giving Compass’ Take:
• Administrators offer advice for school districts on how best to respond to challenges brought on by coronavirus.
• Where are opportunities for funders to help schools address some of these challenges?
• Read more on how school districts can prepare for coronavirus.
America’s public education system was largely caught off guard as schools were forced by the sudden onset of the novel coronavirus pandemic to shut their doors and transition to distance learning over the past two months.
With the number of states keeping schools closed through the academic year rising as the projected length of quarantines and stay-at-home orders grow, many administrators continue to grapple with a number of challenges and unanswered questions: How will students in need of meal assistance receive food? What should count in regard to assignments? How can students lacking internet access, those with disabilities, and English learners continue to be served appropriately? Are milestone events like graduation and prom lost?
We reached out to superintendents and principals from several districts nationwide to find out how they’re addressing these issues and more.
- Consider students’ basic needs first
- Grappling with equity and access
- Professional development and communication are critical
- A year of lost milestones
- Be mindful of the stress on families
Read the full article about coronavirus challenges for school districts by Roger Riddell at Education Dive.
Interested in learning more about K-12 Education? Other readers at Giving Compass found the following articles helpful for impact giving related to K-12 Education.
Looking for a way to get involved?
If you are looking for opportunities to learn and connect with others interested in the topic of Children and Youth, take a look at these events, galas, conferences and volunteering opportunities aggregated by Giving Compass.
Are you ready to give?
If you are looking for opportunities to take action and give money to Children and Youth, here are some Giving Funds, Charitable Organizations and Projects aggregated by Giving Compass where you can take immediate action.