Giving Compass’ Take:
• David Thalberg shares how his community comes together socially around the Solomon Society’s philanthropic mission.
• Could social activities bring your community around issues that you care about?
• Read more about Jewish philanthropy.
This community comes together to support each other, and those in need, like none I’ve ever experienced. Luckily, soon after we moved to Orange County, I was introduced by a new friend to “Solomon Society” — the men’s philanthropic group of the Jewish Federation & Family Services(JFFS) of Orange County.
Through their philanthropic efforts, Solomon Society brothers provide:
- Emergency resources for the unemployed and families in crisis
- Assistance for senior adults and Holocaust survivors
- Leadership development for students and young adults
- Jewish educational opportunities
- Support for Jews in Israel and around the world, and
- Operating support for the Bureau of Jewish Education, Hillel, the Merage JCC, Hebrew Academy and Tarbut V’Torah
After we spend a few hours packing fruit or canned goods for those in need at Second Harvest Food Bank, we all go out for dinner and continue the conversation. We invite new friends and colleagues to a “Guys Night Out” at a local steakhouse, but before we eat, we take the time to make personal introductions of each person attending that night — to make everyone feel welcome and to make new connections. We attend Hanukkah parties at Senior Centers and visit Mandel House and Horwitz Family House,homes for adults with intellectual disabilities and behavioral health challenges requiring specialized support.
Read the full article about coming together for Jewish philanthropy by David Thalberg at Medium.
Philanthropy is a complex topic, and others found these selections from the Impact Giving archive from Giving Compass to be good resources.
Looking for a way to get involved?
Philanthropy is a fascinating topic, and others found these events, galas, conferences and volunteering opportunities aggregated by Giving Compass to be relevant for individuals with a passion for Philanthropy.
Are you ready to give?
In addition to learning and connecting with others, taking action is a key step towards becoming an impact giver. If you are interested in giving with impact for Philanthropy take a look at these Giving Funds, Charitable Organizations or Projects.