Giving Compass' Take:
- Here are six ways to help survivors who have experienced gender-based violence and support them as best you can.
- How can charitable giving support gender-based violence survivors?
- Read more about gender-based violence against women.
What is Giving Compass?
We connect donors to learning resources and ways to support community-led solutions. Learn more about us.
According to UN Women and the UN Population Fund (UNFPA), an estimated 1 in 3 women will experience physical and/or sexual intimate partner violence or non-partner violence in their lifetime. These figures do not include sexual harassment.
As the fight against GBV continues with violence against women and girls yet to be eradicated, it is important for everyone to know how to support someone if they choose to confide in you about an experience of gender or sexual violence.
- Start by believing
- Listen without judgement
- How you can respond
- Ask what practical support you could provide
- Stay up to date on laws and reporting procedures in your country
- Check in on the survivor after they share their experience with you
Read the full article about gender-based violence by Khanyi Mlaba at Global Citizen.