Giving Compass' Take:
- Rockefeller Philanthropy Advisors provides a clear roadmap for philanthropists who want to align their work with the SDGs.
- Are you ready to undertake this process? How can your current work benefit from alignment with the SDGs?
- This is part two of a two-part series. Read part one to find out where to begin.
What is Giving Compass?
We connect donors to learning resources and ways to support community-led solutions. Learn more about us.
Achieving the SDGs will require far more resources than are now being applied to them. To end poverty. To combat climate change. To achieve gender equality. To “leave no one behind” and be truly concerned with the most forgotten and disadvantaged people in every society. Foundations can contribute to this ever-growing endeavor in many ways. Some will change how they make grants or how many grants they make. Some will support SDG infrastructure so that funders can collaborate better. Others will match their existing program areas to the SDG targets, in a process we call “alignment.” In the following chapters, this guide addresses three steps for aligning with the SDGs:
1. Plan: Identify how your priorities as a foundation align with the SDG goals and targets.
- List your foundation’s priority program areas.
- Look through the 17 goals to find the closest matches.
- Dive into each SDG you selected to find which targets best align your philanthropy.
- Consider human rights principles.
2. Assess Progress: Decide how to measure progress and results, and gather and analyze data and evidence.
- Assess the state of your monitoring and evaluation (M&E) framework.
- Decide on measures and what data to gather.
- Build capacity to collect the desired data.
- Collect, analyze, and synthesize data on a regular basis.
- Synthesize data, and use it for learning and action.
3. Report and Use Data: Prepare to report your findings to target audiences, and use data to improve decisions and actions.
- Consider stakeholders’ needs.
- Report on data through your preferred channels.
- Invite feedback and iterate.
By collaborating with grantees and other partners throughout these three steps, the process of aligning with the SDGs can yield keener insights and greater impact. That is precisely because the SDGs provide a unifying language to find and collaborate with more allies working toward the same goals.