Giving Compass’ Take:
• Here is a list of 50 WOC-led organizations based in the United States that you can support to increase donations for women of color.
• How can philanthropists prioritize and highlight the work of WOC-led organizations?
• Read more on why young women of color are gamechangers.
From local soup kitchens to domestic violence shelters, hundreds of thousands of organizations are contributing to equality — racial equality, gender equality, disability equality, LGBTQI equality, immigrant and refugee equality, or intersectional equality.
But these organizations are not equal. Nonprofits are still 80% white led. Even fewer have women of color in leadership. In 2016, only 0.6 percent of foundation giving was targeted to women of color.
Let me say that again: Less than 1% of donations.
One way I can do my part in the antiracism work we all need to do is by making it easier for you. So, here is a list of 50 organizations led by women of color in the U.S. to support.
I believe that money moves power. Let’s move it.
50 WOC-Led Organizations to Support in the US
1. A Long Walk Home. A national non-profit that uses art to mobilize young artists and activists to end violence against girls and women.
2. A New Way of Life Re-entry Project. Promoting the healing, power and opportunity for formerly incarcerated people by mitigating the effects of — and, ultimately, eliminating — mass incarceration.
3. Abundant Beginnings. A collectively run community education and empowerment initiative that is re-imagining how communities can grow learners who think critically, live responsibly, and create meaningful change.
4. Acta Non Verba. Elevating life in Oakland and beyond by challenging oppressive dynamics and environments through urban farming.
5. ACLU of Washington. The ACLU of WA is one of the largest affiliates of the nation’s leading civil rights organization. The ACLU takes no government funds and is completely people-powered.
Read the full article about supporting WOC-led organizations by Radha Friedman at Medium.
If you are looking for more articles and resources for Gender Equity, take a look at these Giving Compass selections related to impact giving and Gender Equity.
Looking for a way to get involved?
If you are looking for opportunities to learn and connect with others interested in the topic of Gender Equity, take a look at these events, galas, conferences and volunteering opportunities aggregated by Giving Compass.
Are you ready to give?
Gender Equity is an important topic. Other members found these Giving Funds, Charitable Organizations and Projects aggregated by Giving Compass to be relevant to individuals with a passion for Gender Equity.