Drawing on insights and lessons from decades of work and specifically, in-depth interviews with more than 50 activists and funders, Philanthropic Initiative for Racial Equity (PRE) will share some key lessons on how foundations can move beyond a racial equity lens to grantmaking with a racial justice lens.
This highly interactive session will explore ways to align your foundation, center power in communities of color including being explicit about tackling anti-Black racism, anticipate and address resistance, manage the tensions of shifting grantmaking, recognizing nuances of identity vs analysis, effectively expand intersectional work, addressing where, or if, White-led organizations fit in racial justice strategy and more.
Come prepared with both questions and lessons you are learning and willing to share with peers, recognizing that in this evolving work, there are no simple answers – and yet there are many paths that can help guide your journey.
- Ways to align your foundation to racial justice values
- How to anticipate and address resistance internally and externally
- How to recognize nuances of identity does not equal ideology
- Mechanisms for stronger culture of accountability
- Lori Villarosa, Executive Director, Philanthropic Initiative for Racial Equity
Thursday, January 16
2:30 PM to 5:00 PM EST
Where320 East 43rd Street
New York, NY 10017
Free for Members; Non-members $150