Philanthropy Institute: Leading Strategies for Emerging Practitioners (formerly known as Best Practices: Essential Skills and Strategies for New Grantmakers) is a comprehensive, two-day educational program developed by experts in the philanthropic sector, and facilitated by seasoned practitioners. This training is the field’s standardized orientation for individual members who have recently joined the philanthropic sector.
The curriculum is designed to provide a historical overview of the sector, a sense of the philanthropic landscape in the Pacific Northwest and nationally, and an overview of foundation governance and grantmaking. The workshop is interactive and discussion-oriented to provide attendees with the expertise needed to thrive in philanthropy. Practitioner-trainers vary by workshop and have included trustees or executives foundations and nonprofit leaders.
During this two-day workshop, you will explore key topics such as:
- The History and Scope of Philanthropy
- Key Legal and Ethical Issues
- How to Make Sound Funding Decisions
- Communicating Funding Recommendations Internally and Externally
- Managing the Grants Portfolio and Grantee Relationships
- Strategies Beyond Grantmaking
- Power Dynamics and Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
Tuesday, November 6 from 9:00 AM
to Wednesday, November 7 at 5:00 PM
WherePhilanthropy Northwest Office
2101 4th Avenue, Suite 650 Seattle
Seattle, WA 98121