What is Giving Compass?
We connect donors to learning resources and ways to support community-led solutions. Learn more about us.
Serving on a nonprofit board can be a rewarding experience, but is also time-intensive and demanding. Review these key questions before joining a board to ensure that board service is right for you. If you are appointing new board members, be certain that you do not have any hesitations about your prospective board members’ answers to the questions below.
- Are you interested in advancing a cause you are passionate about? What type of volunteer work is most fulfilling for you?
- How much time can you devote to board work?
- Are you able and willing to assist a nonprofit organization with fundraising?
- Are you patient and collegial when working as a team? Are you looking forward to meeting people outside of your usual professional and social circles?
- Do you understand the roles and responsibilities of being a board member?
- Is there an opportunity for you to make a difference in the organization?
- Do you feel comfortable with the overall health of the organization?
Read the full report about joining a nonprofit board at BoardSource.